Orientation and a Warm Welcome to the American College of Greece


Our studies abroad in Greece have officially commenced, as today was our orientation at the American College of Greece. This orientation consisted of an informational presentation from the schools president and other staff members as well as a campus tour. UNF’s honors students also had our first Greek workshop, in which we learned the Greek alphabet and how to pronounce all of the Greek letters and some letter combinations. So far I’ve found the language quite confusing and complicated, and I’m sure I will have to study Greek often in order to be able to make use of it in simple conversations.


Something interesting I learned about the language is how old it is- being roughly three and a half thousand years old, it explains how much the language has changed over time, resulting in some startling characteristics like the five different ways to spell the [I] sound. I believe the Greek language indicates some qualities of the culture in Greece, for example how many Greek people have the tendency to stick to traditional beliefs and customs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beauty of Meteora

The Cats of Kefalonia

Decease in Greece