The Studies have Begun Abroad
Greeks are commonly presented as having an assured wisdom about life with the belief that life just happens and there is little one can do to change the future. In both Zorba the Greek and My Life in Ruins, Greek culture is displayed as having an demeanor that is compliant and satisfied throughout the course of one's life, maintaining a positive mindset and striving to find "kefi" in all areas of life. As I travel throughout this beautiful country and am embraced by the culture here, I find my own mindset becoming more similar to the Greek's in my lack of worries- I'm finding that whether my flight is delayed or if I arrive an hour later than expected, no matter what happens, the world will keep spinning and life will go on.
Today, Wednesday, June 27th, was the first day of classes at the American College of Greece. I had a great first day in my Documentary Photography class as I got acquainted with some of my classmates and listened to our professor teach us about some of her principles and fundamental aspects of photography like space. Professor Hatziyannaki seems to have the class outlined with a primary focus on her students' ability to form a cohesive "concept"- that is, an overall theme and message that we are trying to convey to our audience. She isn't as concerned about the actual pixel quality of the photos, and even allows us to photograph using our mobile phones.
After my photography class, I went on to the Greek language workshop class, where I attended my second lesson on the Greek language. I felt much more competent today- the alphabet is still quite confusing to me, but today as we went over greetings, goodbyes, and basic conversational phrases, I felt productive as I held the most basic of conversations with my classmates.
Today, Wednesday, June 27th, was the first day of classes at the American College of Greece. I had a great first day in my Documentary Photography class as I got acquainted with some of my classmates and listened to our professor teach us about some of her principles and fundamental aspects of photography like space. Professor Hatziyannaki seems to have the class outlined with a primary focus on her students' ability to form a cohesive "concept"- that is, an overall theme and message that we are trying to convey to our audience. She isn't as concerned about the actual pixel quality of the photos, and even allows us to photograph using our mobile phones.
After my photography class, I went on to the Greek language workshop class, where I attended my second lesson on the Greek language. I felt much more competent today- the alphabet is still quite confusing to me, but today as we went over greetings, goodbyes, and basic conversational phrases, I felt productive as I held the most basic of conversations with my classmates.


Comments
Post a Comment