Keepin' It Clean








As I continue to experience the culture here in Greece, I continue finding myself in situations that are different from my life in America. An interesting characteristic I have discovered is that Greek people tend to place a lot of importance on cleanliness. One situation that I found this to be true is at the gym- my first day working out I was told that I wasn't allowed to use any of the benches unless I had a towel with me to put on top of the bench. This indicates how Greek people may be grossed out if there is sweat on their workout equipment. At the gym at UNF, towels are not required, but I assume that even though we don't have a rule about it, it would still be considered rude to leave a bench dripping with sweat. 


Another example on this topic is that ACG students aren't allowed to use any of the pools on campus unless they have a shower cap on. I feel like this is quite excessive, as pools contain chlorine which sterilizes them and keeps them clean, so the stray hair wouldn't pose much of a threat. This rule may be put in place because the hair can clog the drains in the bottom of the pool or clog the filters. I think this is a rule because Greek people simply don't like seeing hair floating around in the pool- which is understandable I suppose, but it is different from most pools in America and seems needless to me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beauty of Meteora

The Cats of Kefalonia

Decease in Greece